This week's Ten on Tuesday topic is 10 Ways to Beat the Heat.
It's no secret that I am NOT a fan of hot, humid weather....well actually the hot part doesn't bother me, it's the humid part that makes me cringe when I see the week long weather report forecast for this week. There's nothing we can do about it though other than to make the best of it right? Here are a few of the things that I do to stay cool.
1. Go to the ocean. Not only is the water refreshing, but there is usually a sea breeze that keeps it a little bit cooler.
2. Put up the pool. The last 2 years we have not done this, but after this summer, no matter how much Ken grumbles, that pool is going up!
3. Early evening reading under the shady trees....before the mosquitos make their appearance.
4. Office work in the a/c. I get more office work done in the summer for just this reason..LOL
5. Summer sock knitting. Courtney's been wanting a pair of socks, so this will become my beach knitting
6. Early morning walks, before the humidity is high enough to melt a soul
7. Move to Iceland...(it's looking more and more attractive...grin)
8. Go for a car ride. Ken and I do this on the weekends now and then and usually end with an ice-cream/frozen yogurt
9. A cold shower aways makes me feel better
10..and my favorite, a Lemon Drop martini when the late afternoon heat subsides a bit and the geese are quietly honking in the pond across the road. Very peaceful and enjoyable....here's the recipe:
Lemon Drop Martini
3 ounces citron vodka
1 ounce triple sec
1/2 fresh squeezed lemon juice
Place all ingredients in a shaker with enough ice to make it good and cold...and shake, shake, shake
...use the lemon after it's been squeezed to coat the rim, then dip in sugar.
...and enjoy!!! (I guess I should clarify...this will serve 2)
What do you do to keep cool...I am always looking for new ideas because I am not tropical. :)